Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Brave New America


Rodleen Getsic

My campaign and political experience began at an early age. I served as an officer in several positions throughout my school years beginning age 13.

At 17 I was the Associated Student Body (ASB) President of my high school, with a full-ride leadership scholarship to any Washington State university of my choice. However a trip to Washington, D.C. for Presidential Classroom in 1992 shifted my career path. There I met President George H. W. Bush, and members of his cabinet.

In a caucus with the Assistant to the President (Deborah Amend) and the Secretary of Defense (Richard Cheney), I raised the issue of inner-city deterioration like gangs and homelessness. I asked why we focus on other country's problems more than our own; how come we don't work on resolving our own issues, rather than just putting a "band-aid" over the situations.  They laughed out loud together.  Their response was a pivotal point in my career plans and my life. "Rodleen, that is very sympathetic of you, but we are world power, and we need to maintain that status."

Following that incident, I sort of dropped out. My mom kept telling me that I could never really drop out of society, but it felt like I did. For years I mostly focused on art, music, and travel.

Later, I worked with Jubilee world relief efforts 1999-2001, serving as Lead Coordinator for Perry Farrell's Jubilee Freedom Foundation (with rock band Janes' Addiction). I also worked in event production and nonprofit service, specifically with Aileen Getty, daughter of J. Paul Getty.

More recently, I served as the Public Relations Chair for the Community of La Conchita, California following the deadly mudslide of January 2005. This event demanded attention. In La Conchita, I coordinated community disaster preparation and disaster response. Currently, the disaster response is in the slow process of State committee meetings led by Schwarzenegger's staff. (The community remains in grave danger - apparently due to wet agriculture and bad watershed management, although the State has yet to publicly address these particular points.)

After that I went to Louisiana in Spring 2006, where I networked with local government (Gulf Coast and New Orleans) in efforts to assist with the results of hurricanes Rita and Katrina. Of several offers, I was asked to be the coordinator for a Lower Ninth Ward community-organized project, consisting of residents returning to rebuild. However, at that time, I was spiritually guided to depart The South.

I spent all of this last year in a yurt in Topanga Canyon, conducting spiritual studies and working on art. Last month I moved to Cottage Grove, Oregon, where I am now quickly becoming involved with the community. The first episode of my radio show on the local community radio station will be this Monday, November 5th.

[words written regarding "campaign experience" to Barack]

At the core of present day America, there is severe disorganization occurring, with an all-too-obvious focus on greed. Our country is in danger. Barack is a courageous, peaceful leader for our brave new America.

No comments: